Rising 6th grade Required Reading:
Maroo of the Winter Caves by Ann Turnbull
I am Malala– Christina Lamb and Malala Yousafzai
Rising 7th grade Required Reading:
Refugee by Alan Gratz
Heart of a Samurai by Margi Preus
*Optional Addition* Rad Women Worldwide: Artists and Athletes, Pirates and Punks, and Other Revolutionaries Who Shaped History by Kate Schatz
Rising 8th Grade Required Reading:
Copper Sun by Sharon M. Draper
Before We Were Free by Julia Alvarez
Math Summer Work for rising 6th, 7th and 8th grade
Rising 7th & 8th grade students may complete corrections on the final exam to earn a homework pass for next year. If you did not receive a copy of the exam, please email email@example.com and I will scan it to you.
Recommended but not required:
I recommend the Danica McKellar series as either a refresher of old concepts, or a preview of upcoming material. I will often reference these books in my lessons, and I really like the way that the author makes math concepts fun and relevant.
- Math Doesn’t Suck ~ rising 6th grade
- Kiss My Math: Showing Pre-Algebra Who’s Boss ~ rising 7th grade
- Hot X: Algebra Exposed ~ rising 8th grade
- Girls Get Curves: Geometry Takes Shape ~ rising 7th and 8th
Khan Academy ~ khanacademy.org
I recommend that students practice concepts that they have struggled with and explore different interesting topics. The website provides an extensive video library, practice exercises, and assessments; as the coach, I monitor each students progress and struggles. They can watch videos, practice general concepts, or focus on specific skills.
- Once they are signed up please have them add me as their coach from the profile page. The coach id is my email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Rising 6th Grade ~ Focus on multiplication & division skills and fraction operations
- Rising 7th Grade ~ Focus on negative numbers, equations, rates, geometry, and probability
- Rising 8th Grade ~ Focus on functions, equations, exponents, and radicals
- Students will earn a homework pass for every 50,000 points earned over the summer and they will earn extra credit for points during the school year.
- Contact me with any specific questions about the program ~ email@example.com
Summer Math Refresher Camps
The first two weeks of August (7/29-8/9) I will be holding back to school math refresher camp sessions with the help of HH alumnae, Haylie Fehl (’13). You can sign your girl up ahead of time or drop in during the available times. Please note that we will be in the math room in the upper building. Each session costs $20, lasts for 2 hours, and can be attended any day(s) Monday through Friday, during the two weeks.
Rising 6th grade 9:00-11:00
Rising 7th grade 11:00-1:00
Rising 8th grade 1:00-3:00