Summer Reading and Math Work
Required Reading for Rising 6th (for Meg)
Hello, 6th Graders! Below is your summer reading list:
Wise Child by Monica Furlong (currently out of print but available through Amazon)
A Wrinkle in Time by Madelein L’Engle
The Beautiful Stories of Life: Six Greek Myths retold by Cynthia Rylant
So, to clarify, you may choose between Wise Child and A Wrinkle in Time, and all must read The Beautiful Stories of Life. Please bring your books on the first day of class and be prepared to write your first journal entry about your reading. We will write book reports that first week. This summer as you read, please feel free to underline, highlight, star or smiley favorite passages from the books. I’m looking forward to seeing you in September!
Required Reading for Rising 7th (for Jamie)
Animal Farm by George Orwell
The Golden Compass by Phillip Pullman
Required Reading for Rising 8th (for Jamie)
Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Sallinger
Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli
Recommended but not required: Summer Math Work (for Kizzi)
*Rising 8th grade, your copies of the tests will be sent home mid-summer with ERB results.
I recommend the Danica McKellar series as either a refresher of old concepts, or a preview of upcoming material. I will often reference these books in my lessons, and I really like the way that the author makes math concepts fun and relevant. The books are available at Amazon, Barnes & Noble, or other booksellers.
- Math Doesn’t Suck ~ rising 6th grade
- Kiss My Math: Showing Pre-Algebra Who’s Boss ~ rising 7th grade
- Hot X: Algebra Exposed ~ rising 8th grade
- Girls Get Curves: Geometry Takes Shape ~ rising 8th and 9th (released in August)
Khan Academy ~ khanacademy.org
My recommendation for this summer is that students practice concepts that they have struggled with and explore different interesting topics. The website provides an extensive video library, practice exercises and assessments; as the coach, I monitor each student’s progress and struggles. They can watch videos, practice general concepts or zoom into the concept map to focus on specific skills.
- Students may use a Google, Facebook or Khan account to sign up
- Students under 13 may have a parent sign up for a Khan account
- Once they are signed up please add me as their coach from the profile page. The coach id is my email email@example.com.
- Rising 6th Grade ~ Focus on multiplication and division skills and fraction operations
- Rising 7th Grade ~ Focus on equations, rates, geometry and probability
- Rising 8th Grade ~ Focus on functions, equations, exponents and radicals
- Students will earn extra credit for work completed over the summer. Homework passes will be awarded to the students with the highest points from each class.
- Contact me with any specific questions about the program firstname.lastname@example.org
Summer Math Tutoring
I will be available for math tutoring several days a week, beginning immediately through the end of July. Please contact me directly if you are interested in summer tutoring and we can work out a schedule. You can reach me at email@example.com.